Capitol Hill Elementary School
Located in South Burlingame neighborhood, up Spring Garden Road, Capitol Hill is the elementary school for Collins View children.
Jackson Middle School
Located about 3 miles west of Collins View, Jackson is the middle school for our neighborhood.
Grade levels: 6-8.
Ida B Wells High School
Located in Hillsdale, Ida B Wells is the high school for our neighborhood.
Student Enrollment: 1556
The Ida Wells Athletics department has their own web site: [https://www.ibwathletics.com]
Riverdale High School
Riverdale is the high shcool for Riverdale School District (RSD). Riverdale is located in the former Collins View Elementary School building.
Long story. Riverdale only had a elementary school for many years, in its own district. Students went from there into Lake Oswego or other school district for High School. But the the State passed a law (year?) that every school district must have a high school in its district, or else it would have to merge with another school district.
Riverdale could not get an exemption from this Law, so it pursued various locations on which to build a high school. Nothing in the law requires the actual building to be inside the boundary of the school district, so RSD rented space at Marylhusrt. Finally, the suplus status of the Collins View School was noted, and RDS entered into a long term agreement with PPS for the use of the building. The building has been expanded and remodeled.
The Riverdale School District bought the Collins View building from the city of Portland in 2001 for $2.5 million plus monthly rent of $10,000 on a 20-year lease. The high school is at 9727 S.W. Terwilliger Blvd (previously a segment Boones Ferry Road).
Student Enrollment: ?
Riverdale HS on Wikipedia [LINK]
Lewis & Clark College
Lewis & Clark is the largest private liberal arts college in Oregon.
Resources and events for L&C neighbors
Visit 'For Our Neighbors' for news and information about cultural events and resources available to residents of the Collins View Neighborhood.
Lewis & Clark College Student Life (link?)
The Associated Students of Lewis & Clark Executive Council is a group of elected and appointed students who work to improve the student experience at Lewis & Clark College. (link?)
The Community Relations Board (CRB) serves as a link between students, representatives of ASLC, and members of the Portland community. [Does this still exist?]
Lewis & Clark Law School
Blurb about the law school...
Graduate School of Education and Counseling
What to say about Education and Counseling school?
History: Collins View Elementary School Building
Patrons of the Collins View district, south of downtown Portland, dedicated the Collins View School in 1937. The school was built for about $50,000. It had a big auditorium, gym, three classrooms, health room, library, manual training department and cafeteria. The school closed in 1976 and was later used for community activities.
The school is now (leased to) Riverdale High School. (See above.)
Ref. From Portland Then and Now on Tumblr: http://portlandthenandnow.tumblr.com
The Mural below was originally in CV School. It was relocated to Capitol Hill grade school in 20?? .
Note that the road in front of the school is a segment of Boones Ferry Road now overlaid by Terwilliger Blvd.
History: Village Preschool
Village Preschool of Portland, Inc. was a not-for-profit cooperative established in 1955 to provide a supervised play experience for preschool age children and an opportunity for parent education through involvement in the school's programs and activities.
Mary St. Martin (a.k.a.
Teacher Mary) taught in cooperative preschools since 1983. She was assisted by Tamako Simonoff.
Junior Class, was comprised of three and four-year old children, met Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9:15 A.M. and 11:45 A.M. The
Senior Class, was comprised primarily of four and five-year old children, met Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9:15 and 11:45 A.M. There was also an optional
lunch and play option those days which concluded at 1:15
The school was located on the first floor of St. Marks Presbyterian Church at 9750 SW Terwilliger Boulevard. The mailing address was: P.O. Box 516, Lake Oswego, OR 97034.